As part of the IWMF’s Latin America reporting initiative, Adelante, six journalists will travel to Medellin, Colombia from September 26 to October 11 2019. All reporting fellows will begin their trip in Mexico City on September 26, where they will complete a comprehensive security and first aid training (HEFAT) from September 27 to 30. Fellows will then depart for nine days of reporting in Medellin, Colombia and the surrounding area. The focus of this reporting trip is to generate media coverage of under-reported issues in Colombia and promote new narratives in international media. Fellows will have the opportunity to network with other journalists, report collaboratively with their teammates and peers, and gain access to a variety of sources and sites related to their reporting. The feasibility of trips outside of the base location in Colombia will be assessed on a case-by-case basis and determined by IWMF security protocols. Any travel must be within a three-hour radius of the base location. The IWMF arranges travel and in-country logistics for all fellows. The IWMF also covers fellowship-related costs within the framework of the reporting trip including travel, visa fees, lodging, meals and fixers/interpreters, unless a selected journalist’s news organization wishes to assume these costs. Fellows living outside the U.S. are responsible for procuring all necessary visas for which they will be reimbursed at the conclusion of the fellowship.
- The IWMF arranges travel and in-country logistics for all fellows.
- The IWMF also covers fellowship-related costs within the framework of the reporting trip including travel, visa fees, lodging, meals and fixers/interpreters, unless a selected journalist’s news organization wishes to assume these costs.
- Fellows living outside the U.S. are responsible for procuring all necessary visas for which they will be reimbursed at the conclusion of the fellowship.
Journalists may apply for this reporting fellowship individually or in a pair. All applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Affiliated or freelance women-identifying journalists with three (3) or more years of professional experience working in news media. Internships do not count toward professional experience.
- Non-native English speakers must have excellent written and verbal English skills in order to fully participate in and benefit from the program.
- Applicant must be able to show proof of interest from an editor or have a proven track record of publication in prominent media outlets.
Eligible Regions: Open for All.
- The IWMF’s 2019 Medellin, Colombia Reporting Fellowship is open to both individuals and pairs of journalists.
- If applying as a pair, both applicants must meet the eligibility criteria and submit a joint application.
- If selected, teams will be offered group interviews.
- The IWMF highly encourages team applications that include at least one journalist from Latin America.
- Each applicant must provide their personal information and work samples, in addition to submitting a shared statement of interest, story plans, plans for publication and letter of support.
Important: They are accepting applications from June 4 until July 14, 2019at 11:59 EDT (Washington, DC time). Please note the application deadline above. Do not follow the counter on Submittable.
Application Deadline: July 15, 2019
Apply online through the given link: https://iwmf.submittable.com/submit/141517/adelante-reporting-initiative-fellowship-medellin-colombia-september-to-octo