CALL FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST TO HOST THE 4TH PAN-AFRICAN YOUTH CONFERENCE ON AFRICAN UNITY AND DEVELOPMENT, AND THE ANNUAL GENERAL ASSEMBLY MEETING OF THE AFRICAN YOUTH COMMISSION IN MARCH 2020.
The African Youth Commission (AYC) is an independent Pan-African youth network founded by youth leaders to foster synergy amongst youth and youth organisations on the continent and Diaspora. Officially inaugurated on January 2017 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, the network is determined and committed to provide a space and voice for youth and youth organisations to set and drive their own agenda, promote the involvement of young people as key partners in the implementation of the Africa 2063 Agenda as well the UN Agenda 2030 for sustainable development, support advocacy actions on the ratification and implementation of the African Youth Charter, other youth rights-based legal instruments and contribute to advancing the AU Shared Values through a network of locally based youth actors.
In accordance with article (11) paragraph (2) of the AYC constitution, the leadership of the AYC through its Secretariat is mandated to plan, prepare and coordinate the Commission’s annual Meetings. To this effect, the first Pan-African Youth Conference on African Unity and Development, and the Annual General Assembly Meeting of the AYC took place in Addis Ababa, Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia from 22nd to 25th January 2017, the second edition was successfully held in Harare, Republic of Zimbabwe from 23rd to 27th March 2018 and the 3rd edition took place in Banjul, Republic of The Gambia from 23rd to 27th March 2019.
The 4th Pan-African Youth Conference on African Unity and Development, and the Annual General Assembly Meeting of the AYC is expected to be held from 23 to 27 March 2020, in one of the member States of the African Union. For 2020, priority will be given to member states in Northern and Central Africa regions as member countries in East, Southern and West Africa regions already hosted the previous editions in 2017, 2018 and 2019.
In line with our core values of Pan-Africanism and Inclusivity, the Secretariat is hereby making an open call and pleased to invite member states of the African Union to submit expression of interest to the AYC Secretariat for consideration.
ELIGIBILITY & CRITERIA FOR SUBMISSION OF EXPRESSION OF INTEREST.
To facilitate the selection of the host country, member states willing to host the 4th AYC GA should meet the following requirements:
- Must be a member state of the African Union.
- Have a National Consortium of the AYC in place to serve as a focal point between the AYC Secretariat and the host country.
- A Government ministry in charge of Youth or National Youth Council must endorse the expression of interest in official letterhead, sign and seal by the Honourable Minister for Ministry of Youth or Executive Director/President for National Youth Council.
- Host Country must facilitate visa entry for all participants; provide free protocol services; and free local transportation from and to the airport; and from the hotels to the venue of the conference.
- Host Country must offer free accommodation in at least a recognized 4 stars hotel (bed and breakfast) for a minimum of hundred (100) international participants.
- Host Country must offer conference facilities for both the Pan-African Youth Conference and the Annual General Assembly Meeting, including meeting rooms, interpretation from French to English and English to French. Host country may provide interpretation to any other language if they wish to do so
- .Host Country must offer water, 2 coffee breaks per day, lunch and dinner for all participants during the days of youth conference and the General Assembly
- .Host Country must provide high speed Internet access at the conference venue and at the hotel which is chosen to accommodate the international participants.
- Host Country must promote the event through traditional and social media.
- Host Country must ensure that access to the conference is free of charge and open to interested young people and youth development actors in the host country.
SUBMISSION OF EXPRESSION OF INTEREST.
Submission of expression of interest
Expression of interest should be addressed to:
African Youth Commission
Banjul, The Gambia
The letter must be submitted through the AYC Secretariat e-mail address: [email protected]
The AYC Secretariat will review and select a host country. After the selection, an agreement will be signed between the host country and the AYC Secretariat.
ANNOUNCEMENT OF HOST COUNTRY.
The selected country will be announced by 3rd September 2019.
DATES FOR 4th AYC GA.
The 4th AYC GA will take place for duration of three days, the youth conference will be held in two days (24-25 March 2020), and the General Assembly in one day (26 March 2020). Participants are expected to arrive on the 23rd and depart on the 27th March 2020.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF THE EXPRESSION OF INTEREST.
Submission of proposals should be received by the AYC Secretariat not later than 23rd August 2019. Any proposals sent after this date will not be considered.
For further information and for all your inquiries or clarifications, please contact the AYC Secretariat on email at [email protected] or on phone/whatsapp at +220 9865300.